Blogging: Social Commentary




I take back all that stuff I said about Chrysler in my earlier blog; all that stuff about putting that gas line filter behind the gas tank so I couldn't get at it to change it. This car saved my life.

I was driving back from my chainsaw shop, Penner's Farm Equipment in Tara, Ontario with my brand new Husqueverna 640 chainsaw (sweet) The old Husky my neighbour gave to me finally died; it was thirty years old.

A silver truck suddenly appeared right in front of me; he ran through the stop sign without stopping. I didn't have time to say what was on my mind, h#*y ! #*!#k! but for sure I was thinking it at precisely that moment. I was traveling along at 50 miles per hour (80 k/ph). I didn't have the benefit of loosing consciousnesses during the impact, it would have been nice. I was totally aware during the whole thing, all I can say it was gruesome. I survived, the two nice people in the other car survived. I am battered and bruised and glad to be alive; Thank God for airbags and seatbelts; Chrysler got that part right. Those two items hurt me more than I have ever been hurt before; like someone hitting you in the chest with a big sledge hammer. At the end of the day, it was a small price to pay for staying alive: pain is temporary.

I want to thank the people who stopped to help, the emergency services folks who got me out of the car and into the ambulance; it was no easy task, I am a very big man. I want to thank the people at the hospital that dedicate their lives to help people in trauma situations; they are outstanding individuals. The OPP for their frontline work dealing with human tragedy, and my family for always being there for me. I thought of them first during the moments after the impact while I was deciding to stay alive. I would also like to thank all our friends in the fishing industry for their kind support.

The guy I hit was in the next trauma room at the hospital with his lovely wife and their family; he came over to apologize. He was not drunk or on drugs, he just looked like a straight up guy; it was just one of those things. I told him don't worry about it; "shit happens, we are all human beings and we all make mistakes". It sure made me feel better; we all learned from the experience.

Comments

  1. Shit happens
    Happy u are alive lets go fishing next weekend
    Regards Göran Team Marre Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very sorry to read about your crash but are relieved to hear that no one was killed. I sincerely hope that everyone involved will be alright.
    Best regards,
    John Pless, Sweden (Canadian from Richmond Hill)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind comments, it is very much appreciated.

    Sharkman

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Distributors