Attitude? Give me a break!

A good friend of mine read the blog and told me it seems like the pressures of business are getting to me and affecting my attitude. He may be right, but that's the way it has been behind the scenes for years. This is just the first time I have gone public with it. So, why am I doing it? The story needs to be told for a lot of reasons; for starts, it's what happened, and this is the Shark story after all, including all the lumps and bumps.

It's important for anybody thinking about getting into business for themselves, so they know what to expect when they become successful; especially the fishing business. It is important to correct a lot of the misconceptions floating around out there about our product, our family, and what it took to get here. Apparently those two clowns are still spreading rumors about our company; desperate measures by desperate people. Silly boys; don't you know nothing can stop the Shark! So, to answer my friends concerns; yes I have attitude, I have major attitude. Who is going to listen to you in this world if you don't have a little attitude.

I was an AV producer for most of my life doing corporate presentations for Fortune 500 companies. You want to see attitude, you want to see down and dirty in the real world, I watched industry giants go at each other behind closed doors for years, this is a picnic by comparison. But at any level of business, survival is survival and things will get ugly. My attitude is just fine; I'm just getting warmed up.


Out of the gate in Bornholm Day One
Let's see what else happened today? Oh ya, the big Trolling Masters Tournament in Denmark, 300 boats, it is insane. Teams from all over Scandinavia and Europe show up for this four day contest. The money is nice $25,000, but it's not about the money; bragging rights and national pride. Since they cancelled the European Championships, it's the only way these guys can square off. It's a long way from the top of Norway to Denmark; but you haven't lived until you have competed at Bornholm. There are 299 teams that do the long lonely drive home every year licking their wounds, but that's what keeps them coming back. These guys are a hardy bunch these Scandinavians; when things freeze up in the winter, and our boats have been out of the water for two months, they just put on their survival suits and keep fishing. They don't miss a beat.

We got lucky, our Mega Sharks got there at the last second to be tested in the biggest fishing contest in Scandinavia; Bornholm. The Norwegians are calling it "their secret weapon". After day one the two Wildwater guys (our ex reps) were in first and second place, now what are the odds of something like that happening: First place: 1 out of 300. Second place: 1 out of 300; First and second place: one out of the 300 squared. Pretty amazing, I guess it was team work.
The second day they were winded out; a lot of unhappy campers. Day three started late, but they got out there at 11:00 am. Here's the link in case anybody is interested from by buddy the organizer from the TV station Jan Jorgenson. Se resultaterne her - dag for dag

I got a email from Steiner Moen (Team Helgoya) from Norway, he was a little pissed from being winded out yesterday, but more importantly he was a little concerned about the bruising the Mega Sharks were laying down on his Scotty's.
Steiner's new boat up in Norway

I panicked and did the unthinkable; I called Gord at Scotty headquarters in Sydney BC. What else was I going to do? We just kinda breezed over a few things in the past; Gord said, "it's water under the bridge" but don't worry about the Scotty's, they can handle the beating, they are warrantied for twenty pounds, the west coast guys have been using the #20's for years". Gord told me to tell the guys in Denmark "just tighten down the nut on top of the spool and the break will work better". I thanked Gord for the info passed it along; it worked; the Vikings were happy. Let's see what happens on the last day tomorrow.
Geez, we had a real close call on the first day out, could you imagine if Johan and Per were using Sharks; scary. I would really like to hear from some of the teams at Bornholm that were using Sharks, and how they were using them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Distributors